After sharing my “touched for the very first” time jalapeño story with a close friend last night, her response was, “ow ow ow!!!” “Ow ow: a slang term used to emphasize/agree and/or add on to a comment that someone else has just made.” This sorta hot, sorta sweet, and sorta tangy relish is a product of the pound of peppers leftover from last week’s Honey Pickled Pepper Slices, and my late night boredom. A modification of Canning Granny’s canned bell pepper relish, enjoy as a condiment atop chili, tacos, sandwiches, etc.
- 2 cup hot pepper variety (seeded and chopped)
- 3/4 cup white onion (diced)
- 3/4 Tbsp mustard seed
- 3/4 Tbsp pickling salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized, non-reactive pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add relish mix to prepared jars. Wipe rim, apply lids and rings (finger tight).
- Process in hot-water bath for 10 minutes. Remove from water, let cool on towel or rack for 12 hours or until sealed.