When I first started pickling a year ago, I had great aspirations to pickle crazy/alternative things, crazy things I wouldn’t typically find in a supermarket aisle. Feeling adventurous, I pickled cauliflower… Upon my first look at #pickling on Instagram, I quickly learned that my first non-cucumber pickle was just the tip of the iceberg, and really more of a walk around the pickling block. We all have to start somewhere right? Devastated by this year’s Thanksgiving meals, my jar cabinet was in dire need of a pickle re-up. I’ve modify this recipe a few times over the past year, but after a couple not-so-satisfactory results (cumin cauliflower: FAIL), I’m sticking with my original take on pickled cauliflower. These quick, spicy, and curry’delish pickled cauliflower & peppers are a great snack or meal accompaniment.
Here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2 bell peppers (any color)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 6 tsp of yellow mustard seed
- 6 tsp chili flakes
- 6 tsp curry powder
- 3-1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp pickling/sea salt
- In a medium size, non-reactive pot, combine vinegar, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Divide remaining ingredients between 6 prepared pint jars.
- Pour hot vinegar mixture over cauliflower/peppers. Wipe rims, add lids and rings (finger tight). Process in hot-water bath for 15 minutes. Remove from water bath, and let cool on folded towel over night.